Wednesday, November 30, 2005

images of nature

london plane
fractal: A geometric pattern that is repeated at ever smaller scales to produce irregular shapes and surfaces that cannot be represented by classical geometry.

can you see it? :D

anyway, the london plane is a fine tree; a hybrid of east and west - a metaphor for london culture. i was happy to leave london for the sticks and i wouldn't go back now. i do miss the culture though - but you can't have your cake and eat it. i miss it when i see the fantastic urban images people take; the city is so capricious, the happenings seemingly so much more transient and plentiful than anything in the country.

hey, why can't i have my cake and eat it?!

2 comments:

Anne said...

I love this tree. You got me researching fractal imagery. Wow. Amazing. Posted one on my blog. Now I can see myself delving into trying to make my own. Arghh.

Ian russell said...

i'm glad, very pleased and totally made-up. :o)

to be honest, i don't know much about fractals; i just saw the tree and it looked such a fine specimen.

only when i studied the image to see why i liked it did i appreciate the pattern, forever repeating itself in smaller and smaller detail...from the biggest branch to the smallest twig.

''oh, that's like fractals'' someone said. and i learned something new. ;o)