Friday, August 10, 2007

jack gardner's memorial

Who was Jack Gardner?
I love this little green by the side of the main road out of town. There's not much to it, just lawn and a dozen or so mature trees. The River Churn splits at its north end, the major part slipping between the green and community housing. There are three bridges, including the weir where the river divides, and a small central one reminiscent of Monet's painting. Although the town is small and surrounded by agricultural landscape, it's still good to find pockets of greenery within.

There are several ways to walk back from Town and I just happened to choose this one and was taken by the greenery and the strong early evening shadows. I took the view with the altered image below in mind, I wanted to try to strip away all superfluous detail. I was aiming for monochromatic but didn't figure on the sky, so we have a new tag; bichrome.
I'm getting into 'curve' manipulation with photoshop, it's very painterly in approach. The green channel is enhanced and both cyan and magenta reduced. This left an odd greenish cloud in the top left corner which wouldn't tone down satisfactorily so I erased it with clone brush. Sorted!