Monday, June 25, 2007

photo doodle: the ash tree

More experimental doodling with Photo XI. The original shot was taken a month ago and shows one of the trees in front of our house momentarily lit by the sun peeping through dense rain clouds. It's taken quickly through the window as there wasn't much time before the sun disappeared again. I suppose it was one of those magical moments difficult to capture in a single still. Anyway, I thought I'd see what I could do to create an image which conveys something of the experience.
It really was a doodle so it won't be a reliable account but I split the image twice in RGB and CMYK, discarded all but the red, cyan and magenta. Then I tweaked the levels of each to get the best contrast of tree against sky before combining the three channels in RGB: red to red, cyan to green, and magenta to blue. Unsharp mask was used to create contrast and darken the greys. Then I copied the original colour image as a new top layer, pushed the saturation and lowered the transparency just to give the merest whiff of colour - I'll still call it B&W.