Friday, June 22, 2007

olive grove poppies

I'm enjoying getting to know the latest version of paintshop pro, Photo XI. I like the way the command history is now located on a palette which allows you to toggle and jump across previous commands rather than just linearly, though I can get a bit lost. Eventually I get down to comparing two results where I can't choose which one I prefer - too much green, too little green? I found getting satisfactory rendering of the red on green difficult: I find red is often awkward to get to look natural but if you tweak the green and blue too much the background begins to look fake. It doesn't help to know that the palette of greek greens is slightly different to those of english greens. There is a temptation to go surreal at this point but I remind myself it's not what I'm after.

As it turned out Image #2 had the minimal amount of curve adjustment and I think I prefer it the best. Sometimes you have to trust the camera.

These poppies were growing in an olive grove in front of a zakynthian house near where we were staying. Unusual as we didn't see any other poppies growing in such profusion anywhere else.