Sunday, February 12, 2006

ahoy!

You'll hab do egzkood be, I hab a code (or words to that effect). Yes, feeling a bit tom-dick this weekend, and it's brass monkeys out, and the weather forecast wasn't good, but I'd already decided to nose around the Gloucester Docks because I'd decided to do that last weekend but the weather wasn't good then and I had to get new tyres etc.

So, despite everything, I wrapped up, borrowed the least girly scarf I could find and headed off to the Docks. As it happens, the weather wasn't half bad - bloody freezing, but very sunny.


rigging (what else?)

It's a bit strange - these Docks. Each evening, one my way home, I pass the junction for 'Historic Docks' and wonder what it's all about. You see, as anyone familiar with Gloucestershire geography will realise, we're not exactly near the coast! So, it comes as no surprise to learn that Gloucester Docks lay claim to being the most inland official Port in the UK.

Of course, 400 years ago this was great news for small ships and tall ships, but no good for today's mile long container ships, so now most of the warehouses have been turned into swanky office blocks, exclusive apartments and a small collection of shops. There's still some dry docks and boatyards which do business, mainly for leisure yatchs and narrow boats - it ain't all bad.

2 comments:

Anne said...

very cool shot, like the sepia.. like the way you used three spools or whatever they are..

Gary said...

As always, very nice pictures. I like the cable one a lot.

Good story. I think black and white is great for industrial photos.

I suspect that English gardeners would disagree about staying away from colour in general (at least in the spring and summer they would).