Thursday, January 05, 2006

four bottles and not a drop passed these lips

Two old photographers' adages;

A good photographer never shows his bad photos.
A good digital photographer never deletes anything, however bad.

so much for old photographers and their adages.

Actually, I've only heard the second one once - on a quite good BBC series about photography last year, primarily aimed at the novice and presented by the professionals. I have thought about the logic of this rule and I've not been entirely convinced but I've saved everything I've taken nevertheless. (Apart from the time I took the blurred outline of my thumb instead of the beautiful blooms along cecily hill - rule one defeated rule two, no contest, on that day.)

And as well as not deleting the crap, I also back it up! Why? Who knows!

Well, I suppose the logic follows that a digital image takes up little space and I now have a huge and empty external hard-drive to fill and it's easiest to just dump in whole folders rather than individual images.

Now I think I have found a good use for those iffy images - photoshop experimentation. I haven't a clue what I'm doing with it so playing with images that start off bad can't get any worse. But if they do, it doesn't matter, does it?

I say photoshop but there is also paintshop pro which is cheaper and aimed at the amateur with no pennies. The bottle that follows is me playing with paintshop pro;


I discovered the bottle on Pope's Seat in Cirencester Park...


...Alexander Pope, that is...


...the famous poet, I suppose he liked a quiet drink...


...you're my besht friend, you are...

2 comments:

Anne said...

You crack me up. Now this is the way I look at things.. you never know when you're going to need a photograph of um.. bananas in a supermarket.. so yes, why not keep it. I have a HUGE folder of nothing but textures. Crumbling walls, tree bark, fish nets, all to use when I'm experimenting with photoshop.. I'll post one to show you on my blog tomorrow.

Ian russell said...

Bananas! Damn, I knew there was something I'd forgotten to buy at the supermarket...

I have a folder full of blurred fingers - what am I supposed to do with that? :o)

Look forward to your blog tomorrow (as always). I wonder what's happened to our photo-blogging friend Mike?