Monday, January 09, 2006

hello... hello...

Don't you hate it when you venture to try something new in communication, feeling a bit awkward, unsure how it works, all fingers and thumbs with your typing - and then, in the middle of it all, you find you've split your pants? (Trousers; I'm using the american usage. To be precise, jeans). Actually, I'm not sure how universal 'pants' is - it might be used only in the USA!

Well, they said they were laughing at me - but if only they knew. I was trying to assess the extent of the damage while attempting to be cool and composed...not easy but I think I might have got away with it. It turns out it was only a small tear, the size of a penny piece, along the seam with the back pocket. They're a very old pair, I mean years old and at that comfy stage, and worn thin, the sort my mum would declare you could shoot peas through. Why anyone would want to do such a thing, only mother knows...

My typing skills are next to useless. I've never learned, see? I still use two fingers and, even then, never at the same time. I'm a mouse man - mouse to icon, click. one finger only. I'm notorious for my mouse pointing skills, I have the fastest setting known to man. Bill Gates hasn't invented the setting too fast for me - I'm off the scale! I'm seriously considering rechristening my mouse, Speedy Gonzales, and installing go faster stripes.

Dexterity on the keyboard however, always remains elusive.

5 comments:

Anne said...

Everyone's good at something. Your plethora of other skills more than make up for your snail-like tapping. Besides it's rude to laugh and we're both ashamed. Well, not really, but don't let it stop you coming back to Hello!

It's not the speed, anyway, it's the content.

Quasimodem said...

Leave the two old crones with their small pleasures, hopefully they will see the light of their wicked ways....or go towards the light.

Whichever comes first.

In any event, with "hello" you are relatively less far away...and that's a good thing!

Ian russell said...

it was the speed of contact that threw me, i think.

now i know what it feels like to be a fly on the web. :D

i'll be back...

Gary said...

Maybe you need to find a way to type by pointing the mouse at a virtual keyboard and clicking away. The only thing I took with me from high school was Grade 10 typing (I took it to get out of woodwork). I can type till my fingers blur (the words may or may not be stupid, but that's not the point).

Ian russell said...

Gary,

typing; that sounds like a very useful subject to take at school.

unfortunately for me, I attended one of those schools that believed education was purely a means by which to get into university, so instead of practical subjects like typing - or even woodworking - I had latin, science and something even more inhuman called 'humanities'. Even art was discouraged, or so I imagined, there being but one v. uninspiring and crusty old teacher who failed to discover that art was my favourite subject at junior school.

Woodworking is a subject best left until official schooling is over, as I did. It is a spiritual subject, a pagan love affair - providing you eschew most power tools. i mean, why would you want labour saving devices when it's the working with the wood that gives so much pleasure - and discipline.

It's perfectly freudain: Love and work are the cornerstones of our humanness.