Sunday, January 29, 2006


I noticed most of the boundary crossings had been given brand new kissing-gates (which must be a better form of access for all). This was a rare conventional stile; simple, cheap and functional. An excuse to portrait the daisies which performed remarkably well seeing as they'd spent the best part of last year neglected in the cupboard.

Despite the unfashionable nature of the things, I do like leather: something to buff and polish, rather than this synthetic stuff - which is okay in its way, but lacks soul. Wandering to me is, in its very nature, all about soul.

4 comments:

Anne said...

I have no idea what kissing gates are. Or daisies. Translation please!

Ian russell said...

daisy roots = boots.

a kissing gate is a narrow gate inside a U-shape enclosure, so that the loose end swings from one side of the U to the other, 'kissing' each side in turn (imagine like the french or italians do on the cheeks when they see old friends ie 'mwah mwah' - or like a clapper ringing a bell!).
meanwhile, the person stands in the belly of the U, thus avoiding the gate swinging, and passes in or out when the gate is in the opposite position.
people being slim & vertical can do this easily, but animals find it impossible.

i should have taken a picture, it would have explained it much clearer. :o)

Anne said...

doh. I thought I knew every cockney-rhyming slang term there was. I'll add that one to my list.

I can picture how the gate works now. I don't think I've ever seen one here.

Anne said...

You mean sole, don't you?